2021 Avista NAIA World Series – Game 17 Recap
Grizzlies remain undefeated; head to title game on Thursday.
No. 5 Georgia Gwinnett def. No. 6 Faulkner (Ala.) 15-10 | Box Score
Georgia Gwinnett advances to title game on Thursday vs. Central Methodist
Faulkner has been eliminated from play
- The Grizzlies led by three after two innings, which led to a seven-run outburst in the third to take a 10-2 lead after three.
- After a wild pitch allowed Myles Smith to cross the plate, Kyle Harvey singled to score Gabe Howell to make it 2-0 Georgia Gwinnett.
- Faulkner got one back in the bottom half of the first. Shawn Ross hit one of his two solo home runs of the game to make it 2-1. Ross homered again in the bottom of the third to lead-off the inning.
- The Grizzlies added a run before the seven run outburst in the third.
- Georgia Gwinnett added a pair of runs in the fifth to make it a 12-2 lead, but the insurance runs turned-out to be critical. Gabe Howell hit a two RBI single to left, which scored Cord Johnson and Myles Smith.
- Faulkner made a run at a comeback in the bottom of the ninth. The Eagles plated six in the final half, but the hole proved to be greater than they were able to overcome.
- Kevin Kyle put together a big pitching performance for the Grizzlies. The junior tossed 8.1 innings and struck-out nine to help save the bullpen arms for Thursday night’s game under the lights.
- Faulkner outhit Georgia Gwinnett 16-14 in the game and clubbed four home runs in the game.
- Kyle Harvey recorded three hits and three RBI including a double to lead the Georgia Gwinnett offense.
- Issac Phillips went 4-5 at the plate for the Eagles with two runs scored.
- Both Georgia Gwinnett and Central Methodist will play in their first game in program history in the championship round.